Monday, February 22, 2010

Vampire Weekend's Debut

This past Saturday I found Vampire Weekend's debut album as a way to make up for an otherwise forgettable day.  The first thing that immediately jumped out at me was Ezra Koenig's voice.  I'm not going to say that he has a perfect voice, but to me his voice has a sort of unique edge to it.  There are plenty of times his voice is about to crack.  It is also in front of the mix most of the time.  If you can't handle his voice, you should probably stop listening and find some new sounds to listen to.The album plays so precisely that the small blemishes sound enduring instead of frightful.  The music also has a vibe to it that is not in music I typically listen to.  For some reason, it made me think of Jimmy Buffet except not campy.  I know this is because of the African rhythms, which are what separates this album from many others.  The songs are mostly built carefully upon the rhythms.  The album is certainly upbeat.  I think that I would ideally listen to this album will relaxing on a warm, not hot, day or while I was taking a long bike ride or car ride on a sunny day.  I just dig the vibe of the album but would probably not go out of my way to pay much to see them in concert.  I will try to listen to more of them and try to find their new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment