Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Highway to Hell or Back in Black

I feel like debating which is the better AC/DC album, Highway to Hell or Back in Black.  While BIB probably has better songs pound for pound, HTH has Bon Scott.  For early AC/DC fans, this is no contest because Bon Scott was the embodiment of AC/DCs lyrics.  He just seemed like he was that much of a preditor.  Brian Johnson is only trying do his best impression of Scott, especially on his early records.  I am not exactly sure why nobody has every brought up the fact that Brian Johnson's voice never matched what he did on BIB.  His voice was perfect on it.

As albums go, both of these albums start out with great songs, "Highway to Hell" and "Hells Bells."  The first is a tribute to the way Bon Scott lived his life, the second a tribute to Bon Scott in death.  The second songs are "Girls Got Rhythm" and "Shoot to Thrill."  While "Shoot to Thrill" can still be heard once in a while on the radio, "Girls Got Rhythm" has left me to only be heard on my iPod.  I think "Girls Got Rhythm" is a better song and it's a shame that it has kind of gotten forgotten in the wake of BIB.  I think this happened to a lot of HTH.  A lot got forgotten or left behind when the big BIB hit.  HTH made AC/DC a high charting touring band for the first time in America.  BIB made AC/DC superstars with a momentum they still possess for the most part.

The third track from HTH is "Walk All Over You."  I don't think there is an AC/DC track that has a more clear background vocal than this one.  It might be the only time the background vocals are not trying to be menacing, a technique that AC/DC should have tried more than once.  Maybe none of them had the chops for a repeat performance.  The fifth track from BIB has one of the best titles ever, "Let Me Put my Love Into You."  It also happens to be my favorite track from that album.  It is also the track from BIB that have heard the least often on the radio.


Both albums have killer track sixes.  HTH has "Shot Down in Flames" while BIB has its title track.  "Shot Down in Flames" is the AC/DC track that got me hooked on the band so it holds a special place in my heart.  I say that phrase quite often in life for various reasons.  It's always fun to have music to put to a well like phrase.  BIB's seventh track is also a great one, "You Shook me All Night Long."  This one gets everyone moving no matter where you are.

The closing tracks for both albums might be the slowest tracks on their albums.  HTH closes with "Night Prowler" while BIB closes with "Rock and ROll Ain't Noise Pollution."  On "Night Prowler," the menacing background vocals actually add a lot.  It's a shame some serial killer got attached to this song and ruined it for the common man.  This song works wonders as a stripper's song.  On "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution," Brian Johnson is preaching to the choir.  Rock and roll does make good sense.  It's a perfect way to end a perfect album.

Now which one is better?  My personal choice is Highway to Hell in part because it has not been over played to me.  I also prefer it because I enjoy Bon Scott's filth than Brian Johnson's dirtiness.  I enjoy the songs more as a whole than I do on Back in Black.  However as an outside observer, I would expect BIB to be the pick.  Every song is strong from start to finish and Brian Johnson still adds a unique performance to this album.  No matter what, you can't go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment